- Use Wordpress Tools->Export to export the entire database as an XML file.
- Use FileZilla (or your favorite FTP program) to download the wp-content folder in your Wordpress install to your computer.
- On the new host install Wordpress. You might have to do this after step 4, I was able to install on Hostgator prior to changing the DNS. This meant I was able copy the wp-content folder at this point.
- Change your DNS settings. This is done through your domain name provider. You might need to wait up to 24 hours, in practice it's usually takes a lot less time than that.
- Import the data. Copy the wp-content folder into the new installation. Use Wordpress Tools->Import to load the data you previously exported.
- Then do housekeeping (activating plugins) and fix up what wasn't imported properly (some settings didn't come through).
Pros of Self Hosting
- You have control over the software. Some free hosts limit or exclude the ability to install plugin and widgets. A post I saw on the NBI forums this morning asked about the popups that show game item details when a reader hovers over a link. This is done through a plugin or a change to the template code. If you self host you can do this. On a free blog host it may not be possible.
- You have control over the commercial aspects of your blog. Some bloggers put adverts or other commercial features on their blogs. Some use affiliate programs. If you are self-hosting, you can do this to your hearts content. Some free platforms however, don't allow any of this. Some will limit it. If you want to make money from your blog, self-hosting is the way to go.
- You have control over your content. If you are self-hosting you don't have to worry about a terms of service. Now I suspect that most MMO bloggers wont violate the ToS of a free host regarding racism, illegal content, or porn, but if you want to be controversial you might find that some readers will take exception to it and report your blog to the service. (BTW, it doesn't matter if you are self or free hosting, some content will automatically reduce your Google rankings anyway.)
- If you need to change hosting you can. If you find that your web host no longer suits your needs you can, reasonably easily, change to a new host. If you need to scale up to a dedicated server, or a virtual private server (VPS) as your blog grows, then you can.
Cons of Self Hosting
- More expensive to run. You need to buy a domain name, and rent a shared server. This isn't that big of a cost. A domain costs about $10 per year, and a shared host under $10 per month.
- No (less) support. If something goes wrong with your blog, if it's hacked perhaps, you'll need to fix it yourself. This has happened to me. It ended up taking about five hours one evening to fix. And of course that happened when I really wanted to do something else.
- Shared hosts are shared. For the most part this doesn't cause problems, but some cheap hosts are notorious for packing as many accounts onto a server as possible. Your blog may share a single server with 20, 30, or even more other websites. If you find your blog is slow this may be the cause, or perhaps another website is using too many server resources.
- Lack of automatic scalability. What I mean by this is that with self hosting if your blog grows and gets too many visitors your cheap shared host may decide that you are using too many resource. In this case you'll have to either upgrade to a more expensive plan, or find a dedicated server, or (the better option in this case) go to a VPS. A free-host like Blogger will scale allowing your blog to continue to grow its visitor numbers indefinitely.
Your ChoiceUltimately you will have to decide for yourself what level of control you want over your blog, but this will be based on the direction you want to take your blog. If you want to use certain plugins that aren't available in a free host, you'll have to self-host. If you have no budget to get a domain name and pay for hosting, or you simply don't want to pay anything, then a free blog host is the best option. If you are having difficulty deciding what to do, then do the following.
- Plan. Get a piece of paper and write on it everything you like about other blogs that you read. Be analytical about it. Do you like the popup links?
- Now write on a separate list, what you want to do with your blog. Based on the list you generated in step 1.
- Go to bed. Sleep on it. Leave it for a couple of days.
- Now prioritise the items in list 2. Work out what you must have, and what you can leave out. Make sure this is a long term view. It can be harder to change later.
- If the must have items require self-hosting, then that's what you will need to do. If they don't, then free hosting will work for you too.
Other ResourcesIf you choose to self-host here are some resources. The links are just plain links and are not affiliate links or anything like that.
- I use Namecheap for my .com and other domain names. For .com.au I used CrazyDomains. (Avoid Godaddy like the plague. Elephant killers, and just plain bad news.)
- For hosting, I like Site5 and Hostgator. Stropp's World is currently hosted on Site5, and has been since I started the blog.
- If you have the technical expertise to set up a server, then Rackspace has some Cloud Hosting products that start fairly cheaply from around $11 per month. (I set a server and site up for a client last year.) These will scale easily, Rackspace have a UI that lets you set the resource level, at the click of a button.
Synthroid For Sale, Just a quick heads up. Synthroid reviews, The hosting fees for Stropp's World have come due, and rather than continue with Site5, online buying Synthroid, Herbal Synthroid, I've decided to move the blog over to HostGator within the next few days.
This doesn't have anything at all to do with Site5 or their service, Synthroid from canadian pharmacy. Buy Synthroid from canada, Except for one or two glitches over the last four and a half years, I'm happy with their service, Synthroid coupon. Cheap Synthroid, But rather than pay two sets of fees, as I already use HG for my business it makes a bit of economic sense to consolidate on one server, Synthroid from mexico. And since I've got a year remaining on Hostgator they win the day, Synthroid For Sale. Synthroid without prescription, Anywho, I'm not sure how much disruption this will cause to the blog, Synthroid recreational. Order Synthroid online c.o.d, I don't expect much, but if there is don't worry, buy no prescription Synthroid online, Synthroid results, Stropp's World isn't going anywhere. Except it is, Synthroid price, coupon. Synthroid dose, You know what I mean. Synthroid long term. Online buy Synthroid without a prescription. Real brand Synthroid online. Synthroid without a prescription. Synthroid pharmacy. Ordering Synthroid online. Japan, craiglist, ebay, overseas, paypal. Synthroid photos. Is Synthroid addictive. Order Synthroid no prescription. Synthroid wiki. Synthroid pics. Where can i buy cheapest Synthroid online. Synthroid treatment. Synthroid alternatives. Buying Synthroid online over the counter. No prescription Synthroid online. Canada, mexico, india. Synthroid forum. Where can i buy Synthroid online.
Similar posts: Modalert For Sale. Clonidine For Sale. Buy Betnovate Without Prescription. Slimex (Obetrim) For Sale. Xalatan For Sale. Spiriva images. Ketoconazole Cream reviews. Order Vibramycin no prescription. About Periactin. Buy Flexeril from canada.
Trackbacks from: Synthroid For Sale. Synthroid For Sale. Synthroid For Sale. Synthroid For Sale. Synthroid For Sale. Buy Synthroid online cod. Where can i buy cheapest Synthroid online. Ordering Synthroid online. My Synthroid experience. Real brand Synthroid online.