Perpetuum Online finished downloading, and loaded right up with out a hitch. But since it’s the middle of the day and I have a bit of work to do, I just popped in for a quick looksee and spent about ten minutes tooling around in my new robot. Here are my impressions so far.
- This is Eve Online. Really, Avatar Creations seem to have gone out of their way to replicate the Eve Online experience but in a ground based environment. Every thing from the character creation process to the GUI screams Eve to me.
- The Eve emulation is is not necessarily a bad thing, Eve is a highly successful game, one of the few that has grown over time.
- Having said that, I’m not a big fan of the Eve UI myself I think it’s too complex, and I reckon the Perpetuum UI goes even further in complexity than Eve’s does. Having designed GUI’s myself for nearly two decades the biggest trap is in not making a UI as simple and easy to use as possible. After all, it’s just a way of presenting info, it’s not the gameplay.
- The robot controls are fairly easy to use, although there are a lot of toolbar icons to figure out and they all look similar.
- Locking targets is done the same way as Eve, but there seems to be a second step required to fire on a target. I’ll have to recheck this to make sure, but if so that second step should be removed (see my simple UI comment above.)
- more to come…
I’m really hesitant to make a judgement at this early, early stage since I’ve spent so little time in the game. So I won’t.
I will however, say that it may be a little too much like Eve for me. Eve Online is a game that I want to love, but I’ve tried a bunch of times to get into. It always ends up the same with me losing interest and cancelling my subscription. That may because Eve is too sandbox. I do like some direction from the game. And Eve also requires a large time commitment, which with my polygamous gaming habits and short attention span is also a problem.
I’ll give Perpetuum more time, that’s only fair, but if it is simply Eve Online on the ground then it may not be for me. Having said that, if you are a huge Eve fan, then by all means give it a shot.